My thoughts for the Itty Bitty Bible Study group on Facebook. (join if you’d like to get these in fb!)
note from previous post: In my research, I have found some that say that verses 3-14 are all one long sentence.
It is commonly known that the verses, the chapters, and maybe even some gramatical markings were not necessarily in the original texts. The KJV has it split up with colons and semi-colons.
ESV has added periods.
15 For this reason, because I have heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love toward all the saints,
16 I do not cease to give thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers,
17 that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of him,
18 having the eyes of your hearts enlightened, that you may know what is the hope to which he has called you, what are the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints,
19 and what is the immeasurable greatness of his power toward us who believe, according to the working of his great might
20 that he worked in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly places,
21 far above all rule and authority and power and dominion, and above every name that is named, not only in this age but also in the one to come.
22 And he put all things under his feet and gave him as head over all things to the church,
23 which is his body, the fullness of him who fills all in all.
For THIS reason…WHAT reason?
- Because of everything he wrote about in verses 3-14!
- Because Paul wants these followers to succeed in their walk with Christ.
- Because Paul wants them to KNOW all that they have and are IN CHRIST!
- And – Because he heard of their FAITH in the Lord Jesus Christ,
and their LOVE towards all the saints!
What does that compel him to do?
and then, PRAY!
And what does he pray?
18 having the eyes of your hearts enlightened,
And to that – I go into worship!!!
here are two new ones to me:
What are the things Paul is praying for on our behalf?
- 18b that you may know what is the hope to which he has called you,
- what are the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints,
- 19 and what is the immeasurable greatness of his power toward us who believe,
according to the working of his great might
- 20 that he worked in Christ when he raised him from the dead
- and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly places,
- 21 far above all rule and authority and power and dominion,
- and above every name that is named,
- not only in this age but also in the one to come.
- 22 And he put all things under his feet
- and gave him as head over all things to the church, 23 which is his body,
- the fullness of him who fills all in all.
That’s a lot!
I’ve spent a few weeks thinking about this, while my computer has been out of order, my web site has been migrated, and the internet has been having indigestion.
Paul is praying that we would KNOW….all of these things.
I think this is a prayer that we can pray for ourselves, and for others.
I think this is a powerful prayer.
Thanks for your patience!
Thanks for joining me in this journey,
In His hands and under His wings,
Ps 63:7 Because you are my help, I sing in the shadow of your wings.
“The Lord does not give me rules, but He makes His standard very clear.
If my relationship to Him is that of love, I will do what He says without hesitation.
If I hesitate, it is because I love someone I have placed in competition with Him, namely, myself.” – from My Utmost for His highest
I want to thank
for the ability to search the Bible online.
Some artwork is from me – ChristArtist. It is copyrighted – by me. Please do not share it without my permission.
The same goes for my written work.
Some artwork is from ChristArt – not me! I have purchased a membership, and the art is copyrighted by them.
I’d love to hear what you think – please leave a comment!
Or choose to LIKE me on facebook, or other social media!
I’d love to stay in touch with you – we are working on email subscriptions…sign up!
Soon, we will have a gallery for the art I have created by the hand of God.
There are many organizations that support children and families. Here is one that we are blessed to be a part of. Please consider sponsoring a child – the life you change could be your own.