I was born on September 8th. My mother and father were not together because my father was stationed in Germany. I was a honeymoon baby. I was born 8 months and 2 weeks after the wedding…AND I was two weeks early.
I grew up in the Episcopal Church, and was very faithful go to church. After confirmation at 12, I was an acolyte, and in the youth group, and even in the choir. It never seemed to be enough. I wanted something.
At 9, I attended a Pentecostal church with one of my schoolmates. They gave out toys for going. One day, I really felt the call to ‘ask Jesus into your life’, and I went forward to kneel at the rail. They prayed and prayed for me…waiting for me to speak some secret language(tongues), and it didn’t happen. Finally, they said to me “honey, you have to go home, we have to close up the church.”
I went home(walked across the street), and knelt by my bed and said “Lord Jesus, I know you don’t want me, but I want you, and I am going to try to live my life so that you will take me in.”
9 years old. All alone. And certain that the God of the Universe didn’t want me.
Then the summer before my 13th birthday, I got to go down to Florida to spend a month with some family. Dad had moved out, I had lost 30 pounds, and was excited to go have an adventure. My Great Aunt and Great Uncle were amazing.
The church that they attended was having a “youth revival” and the children/youth were all attending. I went on Wednesday night, and decided to return because I saw a cute guy there. On Thursday night, an evangelist was there to talk to all of the kids. His name was Jerry. He talked to us about God, and since I had just been confirmed, I only partly listened.
Then he sang a song, “I Wish We’d All Been Ready”. The song really got my attention, talking about the return of Christ in a blink of an eye, and only those who knew Him would go up with Him.
I was VERY SHOOK !
When I went up, to ask what did I need to do to be saved, he casually told me to go up to the chapel, and then he would come and pray with us.
- I freaked out….I cried, “I don’t know where the chapel is,
- I don’t even go to this church, and
- I’m not even from Florida…please help me!”
His face turned a little pale, and he looked at me like he was seeing a different person. He said to me “You are the one He told me about as I was praying!.”
I felt like the woman at the well, though I didn’t know that story yet, because he told me everything I’d ever done.
He spoke words of peace to me that I’d never heard, and some of those words were prophetic as my life went on.
I remember the camp out that weekend, and how the waves of the ocean seemed to echo the waves of God’s Glory within my heart.
I devoured scripture, I was so hungry!
When I called home to tell my priest and my mother what had happened, the priest let me know that we did not believe in such things. Even without spiritual training from my church, God continued to teach me through His Word.
This is only the beginning of my story, and I hope to continue to expand it as I get the time….but friend, let me tell you how you, too can meet the Savior of the world.
- Realize that you have done wrong things in your life, that you are what the Bible calls a sinner. Romans 3:23, “For all have sinned and come short of the Glory of God.”
- Understand that the penalty of sin is death. Romans 6:23 says, “For the wages of sin is death,”
- Know that God loves you, John 3:16 says“For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should no perish, but have everlasting life.”
- Recognize that Jesus died on the cross to pay the price of sin for you. Romans 5:8 says that “But God commandeth His love toward us,in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us”. And the rest of Romans 6:23 is “but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.” And John 3:17 says “For God sent not His Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through Him might be saved.”
- Confess you are a sinner, agree with God’s word. 1 John 1:9, “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”
- Ask Jesus to come into your heart, “Behold, I stand at the door and knock: if any man hear My voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and I will sup with him, and he with Me.” (Rev 3:20)
- Confess Jesus as your Lord; Romans 10:9 “if thou shalt comfess with thy mouth the Lord jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.”
- Find a full gospel church that will help you to grow in your new found life. And if you do make this confession, please comment below and let me know!
In His hands and under His wings,
Ps 63:7 “Because you are my help, I will sing in the shadow of your wings.”